Some Significant Information About Long Term Care
One of our most experienced agents, Carol Knowles, wrote the following in a recent Newsletter:
- 33% of women with policies are on claims longer than men.
- About 30% more women than men are going on claim.
- 44% of claims are for cognitive impairment.
- 77% of claims end within three years.
- 93% of claims end within 5.6 years.
- 99% of claims end within 10 years.
Updates in the Industry:
Genworth is implementing the first of several changes for new prospective policyholders in California, effective November 4th. Almost without exception, other carriers are also modifying their benefit and payment options, as well as cost, for those who have not yet put a long term care plan in place.
In the not-too-distant future the industry will be transitioning to a model mirroring that of life insurance carriers.
- Require far more face-to-face interviews that have to date been mandated, primarily for older applicants and those who haven’t seen a doctor for more than two years. These will include a blood draw and urine sample, as well as more comprehensive cognitive testing. This change is driven by the growing percentage of policyholders who at some point have demonstrated they were medically or mentally challenged (and, in some cases, intentionally withheld pertinent information) at the time of application.
- Take immediate family health history into consideration as to applicant’s health classification for coverage.(and cost).
- Gender will be factored into premiums, with an increase of about 25% for single women and a decrease of about 25% for men.
- Change from the current two-tiers options for health classification with most carriers to a four-tier grading system.
For any inquiry or referral that results in a policy, Carol will make a donation to the charitable organization of the policyholder’s choice.
That’s the spirit, Carol. Carol is a model citizen in her community…
Louis H. Brownstone is the Chairman of Northstar Network Insurance Agency, Inc. and a certified in Long Term Care specialist. Louis is recognized as an industry leader, with articles appearing frequently in California Broker Magazine and other industry publications and events. Read More…